Work Opportunity In New Zealand

working while Studying

Many international students are entitled to work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time over the summer break.

Part-time Work

International students may be eligible to work up to 20 hours per week if they are:

  • Enrolled in a full-time course lasting at least two academic years;
  • Studying towards a New Zealand qualification that would gain points under New Zealand residence policy, or
  • Studying a full-time course to develop English language skills - to qualify, you must have an IELTS (General or Academic Module) overall band score of at least 5.0.

Stay to work after study

It’s great that you’ve enjoyed studying in New Zealand so much that you’d like to stay a bit longer. To do this and get a job you’ll need a different type of visa.

New Zealand’s immigration policies include a post-study work pathway for international students who have achieved a New Zealand qualification, to enable them to gain work experience in a field directly related to the studies they have completed.

Depending on your area of study, you may have the opportunity to stay and work in New Zealand for two years, and possibly even gain residence.

post-study work visas

First you need to apply for a post-study work visa and have it approved. The post-study work pathway has two steps :

Post-study work visa (open)

This visa gives you up to 12 months to get a job in a field related to your studies. While you are looking for a job in your field you are allowed to work in any job to support yourself.

Post-study work visa (employer assisted)

This visa lets you stay in New Zealand to gain work experience in your field of study for a further two. This visa relates to a specific job with a specific employer.

If you have a job offer relevant to your studies when you finish studying you can apply directly for the Post-study work visa (employer assisted); you don’t need to have a Post-study work visa (open) first.

Or another type of temporary work visa

You may be able to apply for another type of temporary work visa. However, you must first have an offer of employment from an NZ employer. The job offer must be in an area of skills shortage, must meet one of a number of special visas, or the employer must be able to show that they have already genuinely tried to find a NZ worker. Whatever option applies you, you’ll need to meet the current visa requirements.

request a callback

Success Stories