Requirements To Study in UK

Are you an Indian student preparing to study in the UK? Get your student visa questions answered here.

The UK is home to some of most prestigious institutions of higher education in the world, and it, therefore, is one of the most popular study abroad destinations in the world.

More than 26,000 Indian students come to the UK to study each year. Want to join them? Here’s what you need to know about getting a

Course entry requirements

Every UK higher education course sets its own entry requirements. These entry requirements are there to ensure that you have the right skills and knowledge to successfully complete the course.

You can see the entry requirements for each undergraduate and postgraduate course on the university or college’s website.

  • For undergraduate courses you usually need to have achieved further education qualifications (such as A-levels, International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers, etc.) in related subjects.
  • For postgraduate courses you usually need to have achieved a relevant undergraduate qualification.
  • In some cases, work experience may count towards entry to a course.
  • If English isn’t your first language, the university or college may ask you to take an English language test or show your English language qualifications before you can enrol. This may also be necessary for your visa application. Please visit the UKBA website for information about English language requirements for Tier 4 visas.

Documents Required for Admission

  • Application Form duly singed by student only
  • Class 10th Certificate/Marksheet
  • Class 12th Certificate/Marksheet
  • Graduation All Marksheets/Passing Certificate If applicable
  • Master Degree All Marksheets/Passing Certificate If applicable
  • IELTS Score Card
  • Passport copy (1st & last page or any other important page, which contain info)
  • Portfolio/Project Work/ Work experience – If applicable

Note - All the above said documents should be Notary Attested Set require and any other language documents apart from English, should be translated into English

English Language Requirements

The level of English that international students require varies depending on the course.

Foundation, Undergraduate and Postgraduate Degrees

From 6 April 2012, international students coming to study at degree level will need to speak English at an "upper intermediate" (B2) level. The UK Border Agency has an official list of the different English language tests available to you and what grades you need to achieve. This list also gives you guidance about the levels of English you need before you can study in London.

Most universities accept either IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).

There are also a number of other English language test providers, so you should always check with your chosen university which qualifications they accept.

Many universities offer English courses if you need to improve your English language skills.

request a callback

Success Stories